Powered By Blogger

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Move over Betty Crocker...here comes Bettie Rocker.

So I've been experimenting with a cookie recipe that involves rum.  I made the recipe that I found on the interwebs, but I didn't care for it.  It was too flour-y. Felt like I was eating a biscuit, not a cookie.  So I decided that I was going to play with it and make it more of a cookie-cookie.  So last night about 8:30pm I figured was the best time to make them.  *laughs*
So I'm in the kitchen making up my dough. I taste it to see how "rummy" it is.  I put a little on a spoon and walk it to the back of the house where the mister is "working" in his office.

Me: Taste this. Is that enough rum? Or do I need to add some more?
Mister: *gives me a skeptical look but tastes it* Needs more rum.
Me: You sure?
Mister: Yes.
So I walk back to the kitchen and throw another shot and some into the dough.
Me: OK, now what do you think? Give it a minute to hit your pallet before you decide.
Mister: *opens his mouth like a baby bird waiting for the spoon*
(this is where I was silently wishing I had google glasses)
Mister: I think thats good.  It tastes good.
Me: I can add more, but I don't want the rum to over power it.
Mister: yeah you're right I guess.
Me: I think the problem is that we don't have a taster here who isn't a shot of rum away from being a pirate them self.
(This is the part where I turned to walk out the door and go down the hall  and promptly walked right into a wall.  I think it was more from the glass of rum I was drinking while making cookie dough, then tasting the rum spiked cookie dough. Regardless,  cooking with rum is not for the weak.)

I've decided to add the cookie recipe for all you pirates at heart if you scroll to the bottom of this blog.
(and yes...this is a real sign that hangs in my kitchen.  ARRRRG! BOOTY!!)
 
Sailor Jerry Spiked Bacon & Chocolate Chip Cookies
 
Pre heat oven to 375 degrees.
Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1teaspoon baking soda
1teaspoon salt (if using real salty bacon and salted butter you might want to skip the 1t salt)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
3/4c brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup dark chocolate or semi sweet chocolate chips
6 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
2 shots (3 1/2 tablespoons) Sailor Jerry Rum (you can add or take away depending on your taste)
 
In a bowl mix the flour, baking soda and salt together.
In mixer beat butter and sugar together.
Add eggs, one at a time.
Add rum.
Slowly add in flour mixture until everything is mixed well together.
For bigger chunks of bacon in your cookie, fold in the chocolate chips and baon with a spatula.  For smaller pieces of bacon, mix them in with the mixer.
Bake 7-10 minutes on a parchment lined baking sheet. (My army issued POS oven gave me super soft cookies at 8 mins. use your judgement due to how your oven heats)
Let cookies cool slightly before transferring to a cooling rack.
Keep in a tightly sealed container. Since they do have bacon in them, they should be eaten within 3-4 days just to stay on the safe side.

No comments:

Post a Comment